In 1947 WEC International founded the Missionary Training College in Glasgow. The great need was felt of a Bible college training specifically geared to prepare missionary candidates. Some years later a second MTC was opened in Tasmania, Australia. In the late seventies the Glasgow MTC had to close down due to its limited accommodation. The WEC leadership decided that a new location should be sought on the continent of Europe. After much prayer and searching the former convent in Beugen in the southeast of the Netherlands was found and purchased in 1988. The convent had been home to two Catholic sisterhoods, who had served the local community for many years. As the sisters of Julie Postel heard of WEC’s emphasis on prayer and mission, they were glad to sell the property.
Two couples from the Australian MTC pioneered this new ‘Euro MTC’ and much hard work was put in before the first students arrived in the autumn of 1989. It was a real faith venture and much help and finance came from many unexpected sources.
In 1997 the name of the school was changed into Cornerstone – Centre for Intercultural Studies. In 1998 the adjacent building of the local primary school became vacant and was bought, increasing space for classrooms and childcare facilities.